NO ADOPTION FEES. NATURAL PEST DETERRENTS!
What is the working cat adoption program?
The working cat adoption program aims to find adopters who are looking for natural rodent deterrents for enclosed properties such as barns, warehouses, churches, factories or other facilities. This program is for specific cats from the LA Animal Services shelters who are found unbonded to humans.
Get started today! Email adoptLA@bestfriends.org or call 818.643.3989
Please share our 1-sheet: download here
Does it actually work?
Take a look for yourself! Here are a few success stories from around the country:
The Los Angeles Flower Market has 15 cats (and no rats!) from the Voice for the Animals working cats program
Emperical Brewery in Chicago adopted from the Tree House Humane Society's Cats at Work program.
Austin Pets Alive cats join the Austin Police Mounted Patrol force
Examples of working cats in the press: download here
What is the process to adopt working cats?
Cats participating in the working cat program are vaccinated, spayed or neutered, and microchipped before going to a new home. The adoption guidelines are the same for all Best Friends cats, and adoption fees are waived.
- Working cats are best served when adopted in pairs to keep each other company, and our staff will select cats from our working cat enclosure based on compatibility.
- Upon adoption, adopters should transport their working cats in sturdy airline-approved plastic carriers.
- For proper acclimation to their new environment, working cats should be limited to an enclosed room (approximately 14 x 14 feet) for two weeks.
- If the property does not have an enclosed room and/or the adopter does not have access to sturdy plastic carriers, large crates and/or carriers can be loaned from Best Friends LA ($20 cash deposit for each unit loaned) for the two-week period, and adopters are required to return.
- In cases where the large crates do not fit an adopter’s vehicle, a limited delivery schedule is available by Best Friends staff.
How does an adopter care for working cats?
Adopters are given instructions on how to introduce their working cats to their new environment during the first two weeks and how to transport cats for veterinary care, should medical care become necessary.
Working cats need to be fed, sheltered and provided care like any other pet. They must live in an enclosed structure. They are not outside cats.
For more information on our working cat adoption program, please contact adoptLA@bestfriends.org
And visit our adoption center, open daily from noon to 8 p.m.