Share your home with a foster pet
Foster an adult dog or cat and help make some magic in the life of a homeless pet. With a minimum time commitment of just two weeks, fostering is a great way to give these pets a taste of home and a chance to share their true personalities outside of a shelter environment. Fostering also gives us a better idea of what a pet is like in a home. Get started today by completing our quick and easy online foster orientation.
Fostering a pet with Best Friends in LA
Los Angeles is on the verge of becoming no-kill, but it will only happen with your help today. Our foster program helps LA’s most at-need pets: large breed dogs, adult cats, underage kittens (bottle babies and older) and medical/special needs pets. If you love pets but aren’t ready to adopt, opening your home as a foster is a great way to help out! If you have pets and are able to provide additional space for a foster pet, we would love to have your help too! Your foster pet may need a little training, medical care or just some extra attention. We’ll provide everything else to set you up for success.
Here’s how it works:
- You provide: a temporary place to crash
- You receive: food and supplies, veterinary care, and access to a 24-hour emergency line
- You provide: care and love
- You receive: endless love from your foster pet and the satisfaction of helping animals in need
Yep, all those fuzzy grins, grateful wags and unlimited cuddles can be yours. The bonus? Your commitment today can help bring Los Angeles to no-kill.
What type of pets can I foster?
Adult dog & cat
We have dozens of dogs (predominently large breed dogs) and adult cats looking for a break from the shelter – take one home today! By fostering an adult dog or cat, you’re able to help us learn more about each pet’s individual personality and how they adjust to home life, which is valuable information to interested adopters. The foster period typically lasts 2-3 weeks (4 weeks or more is preferred for cats). As a foster, you can also help us find a forever home for your foster pet. Get started today by completing our quick and easy online foster orientation.
Are you able to provide a little TLC to a pet in need? We have many medical or special needs animals looking for a temporary place to crash. Cases range from animals in surgical or orthopedic recovery needing 4-8 weeks of in-home rest to animals in need of a hospice home. Each foster pet time commitment is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Specialized training to provide the best support and care is provided. Get started today by completing our quick and easy online foster orientation.
This year, we will see around 10,000 kittens (two months of age or younger) enter the Los Angeles city shelters who are in need of urgent rescue and care. We are looking for temporary foster homes for hundreds of baby kittens. The foster period typically lasts a short 2-3 weeks. The kittens are then returned back to us so we can find them a loving, permanent home. Get started today by completing our quick and easy online foster orientation.
Exisiting volunteer? Click HERE to get started.
Make a difference!
Who will you be helping?
- All animals we rescue come from the six LA city shelters: East Valley, West Valley, West LA, North Central, South Los Angeles and Harbor
- There are 30-40 underage kittens coming into our city shelter facilities EVERYDAY during kitten season that are in need of a foster home
- To see the latest numbers, visit LA Animal Services
- Our greatest at-risk population is kittens under 8 weeks of age, especially bottle babies under 3 weeks of age
- Willing to complete online orientation (~15-20 minutes), which includes creating a volunteer profile, watching a video orientation and digitally signing accompanying forms
- If under the age of 18, you must have the permission to foster from someone over 18 years old in your household, as they will be the responsible party in our system. The responsible guardian will need to be the one who completes the volunteer profile and orientation
- Reliable transportation and access to a computer with the ability to schedule your foster animal for appointments
Can’t foster, but want to help?
If you’d like to make a donation to our foster care program directly, you can shop our Amazon wishlist :