Be a BIG hero to a tiny soul: Foster a Best Friends pet today.
Los Angeles, we need your help right now.
In 2018, we will see more than 10,000 kittens (two months of age or younger) enter the Los Angeles city shelters who are desperately in need of care. We are looking for temporary foster homes for hundreds of baby kittens immediately! The foster period typically lasts a short 2-3 weeks, and then the kittens are returned back to us where we will find them a loving, permanent home.
If you love pets but aren't ready to adopt, opening your home as a foster is a great way to help out. We've tailored our foster program to make it as easy as possible, give you the support you need, and work with you to find the best match possible for your home and lifestyle.
Here’s how it works:
- You provide: a temporary place to crash
- You receive: food and supplies, veterinary care, any support and guidance you need*
- You provide: water, exercise, and love
- You receive: endless love from your foster pet, and the satisfaction of helping an animal in need
*We'll also provide all food and supplies while the pet is under your care (unless of course you’d like to provide for them on your own). We provide for all veterinary care at the Mission Hills Pet Adoption & Spay/Neuter Center (15321 Brand Boulevard). We’ll also give you tools to help find their forever home.
If you'd like to make a donation to our foster care program directly you can shop our Amazon wishlist here:
Who will you be helping?
- All of the animals we rescue come from the six LA city shelters: East Valley, West Valley, North Central, South LA, and Harbor
- There are 30-40 underage kittens coming into the city shelter facilities EVERYDAY that are in need of a foster home.
- To see the latest numbers visit the LA Animal Services page here.
- Our greatest at-risk population is kittens under 8 weeks of age, especially bottle babies under 4 weeks old.
- If you can open your home to bottle baby kittens and care for them for 1 to 2 weeks (or more), you will have a direct lifesaving impact and be part of making LA the largest No-Kill city in America.
- Willing to sign a Foster Agreement
- If under the age of 18, you must have permission to foster from someone over 18 in your household as they will be the responsible party in our system. The responsible guardian will need to be the one who completes the volunteer profile and orientation video.
- Reliable transportation and access to a computer with the ability to schedule your foster animal for occasional appointments.
Need more info? Read our Foster FAQs.
Send us your questions at fosterLA@bestfriends.org