Foster some fuzz. All of the fun of having a pet without the long-term commitment.
Fostering gives dogs and cats the time, love and care they need to find forever homes. Plus, it opens up space for another pet to be rescued, which is especially important right now. Foster homes are crucial for saving lives.
And did you know that fostering a pet will help you, too? Studies have shown that having a pet can help reduce stress and anxiety. Whether you prefer cat snuggles or dog kisses, we have a furry friend who can make your days a little happier. We’ll give you everything that you need to care for your foster pet, including supplies, vet care and support.
Find a foster pet who fits in perfectly with your family.
Existing volunteer? Click HERE to foster.
Fostering a pet with Best Friends in LA
Best Friends' foster program helps LA’s most at-need pets: large breed dogs, adult cats, underage kittens (bottle babies and older) and medical/special needs pets. If you love pets but aren’t ready to adopt, opening your home as a foster is a great way to help out! If you have pets and are able to provide additional space for a foster pet, we would love to have your help too! Your foster pet may need a little training, medical care or just some extra attention. We’ll provide everything else to set you up for success.
Here’s how it works:
- You provide: a temporary place to crash
- You receive: food and supplies, veterinary care, and access to a 24-hour emergency line
- You provide: care and love
- You receive: endless love from your foster pet and the satisfaction of helping animals in need
Yep, all those fuzzy grins, grateful wags and unlimited cuddles can be yours. The bonus? Your commitment today can help bring Los Angeles to no-kill.
What type of pets can I foster?
Cats & Kittens
This year, we will see around 10,000 kittens (two months of age or younger) enter the Los Angeles city shelters who are in need of urgent rescue and care. We are looking for temporary foster homes for hundreds of baby kittens. The foster period typically lasts a short 2-3 weeks. The kittens are then returned back to us so we can find them a loving, permanent home.
We are also looking for foster homes for adult cats in need of a shelter break. Adult cats would prefer to be in a foster home for a minimum of 4 weeks. As an adult cat foster, you'll provide us with valuable information about your foster cat's personality and how they are in a home environment. This will help us find a wonderful family for your foster pet.
Existing volunteer? Click HERE to foster kittens or cats.
We have dozens of dogs (predominantly large breed dogs) looking for a break from the shelter – take one home today! By fostering an adult dog, you’re able to help us learn more about each pet’s individual personality and how they adjust to home life, which is valuable information to interested adopters. The foster period typically lasts 2-3 weeks, but could be as short as a few hours or a couple of days. As a foster, you can also help us find a forever home for your foster pet. Get started today by completing our quick and easy online foster orientation.
Existing volunteer? Click HERE to foster a dog.
Make a difference!
Who will you be helping?
- All animals we rescue come from the six LA city shelters: East Valley, West Valley, West LA, North Central, South Los Angeles and Harbor
- There are 30-40 underage kittens coming into our city shelter facilities EVERYDAY during kitten season that are in need of a foster home
- To see the latest numbers, visit LA Animal Services
- Our greatest at-risk population is kittens under 8 weeks of age, especially bottle babies under 3 weeks of age
- Willing to complete online orientation (~15-20 minutes), which includes creating a volunteer profile, watching a video orientation and digitally signing accompanying forms
- If under the age of 18, you must have the permission to foster from someone over 18 years old in your household, as they will be the responsible party in our system. The responsible guardian will need to be the one who completes the volunteer profile and orientation
- Reliable transportation and access to a computer with the ability to schedule your foster animal for appointments
Can’t foster, but want to help?
If you’d like to make a donation to our foster care program, you can shop our Amazon wishlist :