Volunteer with Best Friends
Sometimes, the best gift you can give to pets in need is your time. So we’re so thrilled you’re interested in volunteering with Best Friends Animal Society in Los Angeles. We rely on hundreds of dedicated volunteers to help Save Them All.
There are so many ways you can volunteer:
Pet Lifesaving Centers: The Best Friends Lifesaving Center in Mission Hills features over 250 cats and dogs available for adoption from LA Animal Services. The NKLA Pet Adoption Center in West L.A. features over 100 cats and dogs available for adoption from our Best Friends adoption program and our coalition partners. The Jefferson Park Pet Resource Center in South LA works with treating and socializing our ringworm and working cat populations. You can help with a variety of tasks from animal care to cleaning.
Foster: If you love pets but can’t adopt, you can help by fostering a pet! To read more about our foster program and apply to be a foster click here.
Kitten Nursery: The kittens at the Best Friends Kitten Nursery rely on hundreds of volunteers to provide them with around-the-clock care. There’s bottle-feeding every two hours, food preparation, socialization and more.
Community Outreach: Outreach Ambassadors are volunteers who attend a variety of events as representatives of Best Friends. Ambassadors are confident, friendly and comfortable talking about the Best Friends mission and current programs/services in place to help the community. This is an exciting opportunity to engage with the community and spread awareness about our various lifesaving initiatives!
NKLA Super Adoption Weekend: At the NKLA Super Adoption Weekend, dozens of Southern California NKLA Coalition partners, rescue groups and shelters feature about 1,000 of their adoptable pets. That means about 500 volunteers are needed to help make the event a success.
Strut Your Mutt: Strut Your Mutt is our largest fundraiser for local rescue groups, shelters, spay/neuter clinics and more. The next one is October 26, 2019 and volunteers are needed for a number of different shifts throughout the event, including set-up the day before and tear down after the event ends. Check back soon for more details.
New to Best Friends?
Follow these steps to create your volunteer profile, view a list of volunteer opportunities, and schedule an orientation date (if applicable):
- Visit volunteers.bestfriends.org.
- Select "Start Volunteering" and be sure to check off the path for Los Angeles (if under 18 select "Los Angeles Under 18" pathway).
- Follow the steps to fully activate your volunteer account (filling out a volunteer profile and signing the electronic volunteer agreements).
- You will receive an automated email after profile completion with details about volunteer opportunities along with sign up instructions.
A previous volunteer with Best Friends?
If you've volunteered with Best Friends before (at the Sanctuary or with our other program cities) you probably have a volunteer profile already!
All you need to do to get started is email volunteerLA@bestfriends.org and we'll set up your account so that you can view and sign up for LA volunteer opportunities.
Requirements for all LA Programs:
- Active volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of five hours a month for at least six months
- Volunteers must be at least 12 years old and volunteers between the ages of 12 and 15 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Please note that depending on the opportunity, minimum age may vary.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the volunteer department at volunteerLA@bestfriends.org. Thank you again for caring for and giving your time to homeless pets. Together, we can Save Them All.